More and more homeowners are keen to get the most out of their garden area and enjoy the sunshine when it does put in an appearance; so why not think about setting up a brand new outdoor dining and seating area? You might already have a table and a few chairs lying around, but a proper dining area is much more extensive; a complete overhaul of one section of your garden on a much more permanent basis.
If you do feel like you aren’t getting the most out of your garden, there are a number of reasons why a brand new outdoor dining space might be able to revitalize the space you have. For instance, outdoor dining areas…
- Create a light and airy space for you and your family to relax in periods of warmer weather.
- Can be used for almost any meal of the day, whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner – not to mention social gatherings such as weekend brunches and family barbeques.
- Let you take in the greenery, visual splendor, and natural sounds of the outdoors while you enjoy your meal.
- Allow you to avoid the claustrophobic confines of an indoor dining room, especially when it is particularly humid or hot and stuffy inside.
- Can be tailored to suit your particular exterior decor tastes and style; whether you want it matching your interior decoration or fancy opting for something completely new!
- Help you to make the most of the garden area you have, no matter how large or small it might be!
Planning your Outdoor Dining Area
Once you have decided that an outdoor dining area is just the thing you have been after, it is time to get planning for the final installation! This doesn’t mean the refurbishment project is going to necessarily be that expensive or time-consuming; it just means that you are making sure you have everything in place to enjoy the area free from further stress and worry. So what decisions need to be made? Well, there are a number of considerations to take into account when planning an outdoor dining area, including the following:
- What kind of base or standing structure do you want to house your outdoor dining area? Do you fancy having a brand new patio or some kind of wooden decking installed, or are you happy with a flat and even surface of astroturf?
- How many people do you want to typically entertain in the new dining area? Making sure you have enough space from the start is important, as you can then begin to think about what size table and how many permanent seats you are going to need. Which brings us on to…
- Choosing the right patio furniture and fittings; do you want a simple table and chairs arrangement, or are you looking for something a bit more modern and stylish? Cushions often make for a cozy outdoor retreat, while additional storage spots (either built into the table or via stand-alone structures) can also save you time when enjoying a meal with family and friends.
- Do you want the outdoor dining area permanently covered, or are you looking for something that opens up so you can enjoy the sunshine and see the stars? While a sheltered dining spot might make a good option, a roof-free dining area is really what setting up an eatery outdoors is all about.
- One final thing – do you want to kit out the area with permanent heating and lighting arrangements? Outdoor brick lights or smaller solar models are the best choices if you want something less intrusive, but hanging lanterns often make for the prettiest (albeit not the strongest) source of light. As for heating – be aware; brand new patio heaters can keep you and your friends warm well past dusk but can be rather costly to run on a regular basis
Request quotes from local contractors
If you want more tips or are still undecided about what kind of dining arrangements would look best in your back garden, why not arrange a preliminary consultation with an interior designer to see the potential in the space you have? It might add a bit more to your final bill, but liaising with an industry expert beforehand can really help to finalize any difficult decisions you have to make before installation; not to mention giving your garden dining area a classy, professional to professional touch!