If you are experiencing problems with your garage door it might be time to do some basic repair work or have a professional to determine if it can be repaired or not. The garage door is one of the largest entryways into your home and helps protect your home from thieves. Here are the most common factors that affect the cost of a garage door repair.
Average Garage Door Repair Prices
The average cost to repair a garage door starts from $190 depending on the type and size of the door and the extent of repair needed. Typical garage repairs include the springs, opener, cables, track, sensor, and locks. The cost varies from $85 to $290 depending on the job.
The garage doors are the main entry to your home so they need to be both operational and secure. It is always good to have a professional to pay a visit to check and maintain your garage doors and fix them in case you cannot do it yourself. The average cost to replace a garage door comes to $1,105.
|Average Repair Cost
|$80 – $290
|$100 – $190
|Cables or Chain
|$100 – $200
|$135 – $290
|$250 – $800
|$85 – $100
|$95 – $325
How Much Do Common Garage Door Repairs Cost?
Even if you can maintain the garage door yourself on a regular basis it is always good to have a professional to inspect the door every once in a while by scheduling routine inspections. During a typical service call, the contractor inspects both the door and the opener.
When visiting your home a professional will examine the door for any problems and will make all the necessary adjustments (chain/belt and spring tension, force adjustments, and door lubrication). Garage door repair fees range from $147 and $341 but may vary from place to place.
Here are some common garage door repairs and their associated costs:
Garage Door Springs Repair Cost
On average, the cost to replace the garage spring comes between $50 and $290 and depends largely on the type of springs. If your garage door uses an extension spring which stretches and then contracts, expect to pay from $50 to $95. Torsion springs are more expensive and will cost between $200 to $290 to repair or replace. Tit-up garage door spring repair costs around $150 to $200, whereas repair roll-up garage door costs from $100-$125 per door.
Torsion springs often need replacement as they start malfunctioning resulting in the garage door not opening properly. Torsion springs work by twisting their end along their axis. When they twist they store mechanical energy and as the door goes up they release the stored energy. Replacing two torsion springs will cost from $200 to $290 (labor + material included).
Extension springs are the most common type of spring found on garage doors. They extend and compress. Extension springs replacement cost ranges from $50 to $95.
Garage Door Sensor Repair Cost
Safety sensors work by detecting any obstructions in the path of a closing door. If there is an object in the path of the door then the sensor stops the door from closing until the path has cleared. However, sometimes when the sensor is not functioning properly it does not allow the garage door to close even if the path is clear. Replacing a garage door sensor costs on average from $85 to $100.
Garage Door Opener Replacement Cost
If the safety sensor is working fine and the door still does not close then the problem might be with the garage opener and need to be checked. If the opener has a small light on it, press the button to see if the light illuminates. If you do not see any light, probably the battery inside the opener has run dry. Just replace the battery inside the opener and this may solve the problem.
Opener Remote – A new garage door remote usually costs around $35. Always check and replace the batteries regularly, if possible as if they might become weak and put unnecessary strain on the garage door mechanisms.
Opener wiring- If you have replaced the battery and your garage door still does not open, it is best to call an electrician.
Garage Locks Replacement Cost
The cost to hire a locksmith comes to around $50-$75 to come to your house and around $95 to $325 to replace your garage locks. For simple repairs expect to pay as little as $100 in total. Before hiring a locksmith check with the company that installed your garage door as they might be able to send over a locksmith to do the job at a lower cost. Garage locks provide additional security so it is worth considering installing them.
Garage Door Track Replacement Cost
Sometimes the door might not be able to close because there is a problem with the wheel tracks. Examine the wheel tracks for any obstructions, dents, and bends and If the door is not hanging evenly. In the case that the door is hanging unevenly and that the tracks are damaged in any way, you have to call a professional. Track repairs cost from $133 to $154. Cost for correcting the uneven hanging of doors changes depending on the location and the job itself and the contractor you hire but typically starts from about $125.
Garage Door Chain & Pulleys Repair Cost
If your door is noisy or it does not lift evenly or one side lifts more than the other there might be a problem with the pulley and chain and they need repair or replacement. A pulley costs around $5 and you can easily replace it yourself. Spring and pulleys are rated for 10,000 cycles so when you purchase new springs buy also pulleys to replace them. If you call a professional to replace pulleys, broken chains or cables expect to cost about $100 to $200.
Safety First: It is always recommended to install safety cables to prevent the garage from falling down in case the lifting mechanism malfunctions. Garage doors mechanisms use cables and chains to lift the garage doors or alternatively a screw-drive opener.
Garage Door Panel Replacement Cost
If your garage door is not very old you can replace the panel for about $250 to $800 depending on the style of the door and how long it will take to replace it. Check with your local garage door company to find out if there is a panel replacement and what are the options. A damaged panel can be replaced in many cases. The cost is:
Wood – The cost to repair the panel of a wooden garage door is around $400.
Aluminum – If you need to replace the panel of an aluminum garage door the cost comes to $170 to $289.
Fiberglass – The cost to replace a fiberglass garage door panel comes to around $200.
If your garage door cannot be repaired anymore and you need to replace it expect to spend about $878 to $1,420 for the installation of a new garage door. Of Course, if you have the budget you can spend thousands on a custom-built garage or state-of-the-art garage door.
Garage Door Repair Prices By Material
Steel/metal garage doors – these kinds of doors are often made of pressed metal and are extremely durable and maintenance-free. Metal doors come in panels or boards and are cheap in comparison to other materials. Their biggest advantage is their strength, making them a good choice for security purposes and a long-lasting option. Repairing a steel door cost on average between $135 and $155.
Wooden garage doors. Timber garage doors are a stylish option but are also one of the more expensive materials. Added to that, they require regular maintenance to prevent them from warping or rotting. However, when properly taken care of wood doors are a strong, naturally insulating material. Wooden doors also look great, especially if you have a traditional or older property. The cost of repairing a wooden garage door varies depending on the type of wood that the door is made and the door style. However, the average cost to repair a wood panel ranges between $190 to $215.
Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP) garage doors. This type of garage door is strong, durable, and is like a tough laminate. One of the main advantages of GRP is that it comes in many colors and finishes and can be made to look like wood – but without the maintenance. The average minimum cost starts from $1,157 and the average maximum comes to $2,030.
Fiberglass garage doors. Fiberglass is a very strong material fairly lightweight and is maintenance-free suitable for extreme climates and it is also a good insulator. Although it is a more expensive choice, it provides excellent security, an attractive appearance and will last a long time. The average costs for repairs to fiberglass doors range from $148 to $165.
Your garage door might not seem an important part of your home, but choosing the right material and style of door can have many advantages:
- Security – A sturdy garage door will protect not only your car but any tools or items you choose to store in there. A secure door is especially important if your garage is connected to your home to stop intruders gaining access.
- Aesthetic appeal – Installing a garage door that complements the style of your home can really improve the look of your entire property. A smart exterior is particularly important if you are trying to sell your home.
- Convenience – An easy to use garage door will make parking your car and storing your possessions quick and simple.
- Weatherproofing – If your garage door is made of durable material this helps to insulate and to prevent damp, draughts, and weather damage. This will extend the life of your garage and protect your property.
Additional Costs To Fix Garage Door
In addition to the common problems, there are more costs to fix your garage door.
- Broken glass – The cost to replace a clear glass window is about $300. Specialty windows cost around $500.
- Dents – You can fix aluminum dents yourself by hammering them or by hiring a handyman at $40 per hour.
- Circuit board replacement – It costs around $70 to replace your garage’s circuit board.
- Roller replacement – The cost to replace a roller (roller replacement) is about $130 per door.
- Hinge replacement – Replacing your garage’s hinges will cost you about $100.
Professional Garage Door Repair
Even if you have managed to fix an old lock or dislodged door in the past, that’s no reason to assume that you’ll be able to fix a broken garage door. Garage doors come with all sorts of contraptions and fittings that you won’t be used to seeing on an everyday basis.
In addition, garage door mechanisms function according to complex techniques that are extremely sensitive to outside interference; so if you don’t know what you’re doing you could end up in a whole lot of trouble – not just financially, but physically too. It’s not worth jeopardizing you or your family’s safety just to save some cash.
Instead, you should look to hiring a professional to repair your garage door for you. After all, a qualified repairman or a qualified contractor will be able to…
- Offer a full garage door repair service, including experienced and fully trained staff who regularly deal with similar garage door problems on a day-to-day basis and who know exactly how to repair a garage door.
- Provide all the necessary tools and equipment to get the repair job completed to the highest-quality, including a power-drill, long-nose pin punches, spring tension kits, mole grips, and replacement springs and cables.
- Provide expert advice on specific jobs following the repair, such as teaching you how to carry out basic garage door spring repair or how to repair a garage door cable – so you don’t have to worry about calling them out a second time for such a small and easily repairable fault.
- Recommend updates and extensions to your existing garage door following its repair, which might include anything from a simple repainting or varnishing job to new reinforced steel plates to support the door, longer cables for a smoother closing mechanism, or even an entirely new door to replace an old model that breaks down all too regularly.
- Offer a money-insured work guarantee, which often lasts for anything from six months to up to five or even ten years, depending on the type of work that’s been completed.
- Provide all the necessary certification and license details that prove they are able to work and carry out garage door repairs legally in the UK and are thus liable to any shoddy repair jobs and or further faults that may arise with the door following its repair.
Hiring a Garage Door Repair Contractor
Of course, even if you’re convinced of the top work a garage door repair contractor can do for you, hiring one is not as simple as just picking up the phone and getting in touch with the first company or tradesman that comes along. Instead, you need to make an informed decision on who to go with, which can be achieved in just a few simple steps – including the following:
- Ask friends and relatives for personal recommendations – You never know, you might even get a discount if a garage door repairman has heard you’ve hired them based on good word-of-mouth.
- Specify exactly what needs repairing on your garage door – Some contractors won’t give full quotes unless they know all the details and the extent of the problem down to the most precise details. Up-and-over garage door repairs or garage door cable repair, for instance, are different from standard lock problems or stiffened doors.
- You should also specify the size of the door, the type of material, and the brand or name of the model – These details will all help the contractor to figure out a price tag as quickly as possible.
- Ask potential employees for portfolio work and/or references – This is proof that they have a good track record when it comes to fixing garage doors; after all, if they want your business this shouldn’t be a problem.
- Take the time to compare estimates – Ask quotes from a number of different contractors and retailers. National companies might have the edge when it comes to technology and speed, but some local contractors provide a better, more personal service for a lower price; it all depends on what suits you.
A broken garage door never comes at a convenient time, but as long as you hire a professional according to these simple and helpful steps you should find that everything will be back in working order within a day or two – so you can get on with your life and stop worrying about broken doors!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The garage door can get stuck if the garage door opener does not unwind and wind the torsion springs., which pull and push the door along the garage door tracks. If your garage door gets stuck open, it might be because there is something in one of the tracks obstructing the rollers from moving.
Replacing the garage door springs can be dangerous as one of the springs might suddenly collapse and break under violently as it is under constant tension.
Installing a garage door is more difficult and dangerous than installing a regular door. You need to secure a manual garage door with equipment. This kind of job also requires special equipment like a drill, an open-end wrench, and a hex wrench.
If the garage door opens halfway, check the garage door limit in case it is set improperly. You can easily reset the limit with a screwdriver so that the door opens and closes all the way.
If you cannot list your garage door the most possible reason is the might be a gap between the coils because the torsion springs are malfunctioning and the door gets stuck.
Most garage doors cannot be installed on old tracks, as they might not be compatible with the old door tracks. If you re-use your old tracks, the door might become unbalanced as many tracks are fastened with a rivet that controls the distance that the doors opens and closes from the side post.
When this happens it would be good to refrain from using the door until a professional can have a look. To avoid leaving your home exposed, cut the cable to be able to lower the garage door until it has been properly fixed and can fully-close.